Many aspects of the game (such as deploying and traveling before being warned of leaving the battlefield) take place in the main gameplay area of the map, a 32768 unit square. However, a typical ETQW map is larger due to an out of bounds area (oob), so actual bounds of a map are a 40960 unit square. Playzone brushes are used to specify the main gameplay bounds of a map. It is on these brushes that a mask is specified. It is the masks themselves which control where aspects of the game may take place.
In the example map there are the following playzone entities;
There are two playzone_commandmap entities used. One for the main gameplay area, and one for the oob. They are used to specify a command map based on the players position. This is so that when the player enters the oob, their command map can change to one with a red border. The oob playzone covers the whole 40960 bounds of the map, whereas the regular playzone is 32768 units. Since the player is often under both playzone_commandmap brushes, the oob playzone_commandmap has a lower priority.
- Material name of the command map to use when the player is under this playzone.
- If the player is under multiple playzones, the playzone with highest priority is used.
Used to specify where the following three masks should be taken into account;
- Deploy mask (dm_default)
- MCP Deploy mask (dm_mcp)
- MCP Route mask (dm_mcp_route)
- Mask to used to specify where deployables may be deployed.
- Mask to used to specify where the MCP can be deployed.
- Mask to used to specify where the MCP may be driven before it is deemed off course.
Used to generate heightmap data used by the magog sky crane, precipitation system and some other things.
- Where to write the heightmap image.
Used to specify the mask where players may travel around the map
- Mask where the player may travel.